I’m still learning about how to do this, but I came up with what I think Die for the Cause might sound like.
It took a bit longer than I would have liked, but I finally got it done.
I’ll be pretty busy the next few weeks, but I hope to get one more chapter out (6k so far) and most of new Volus and Drell material going.
As for the new chapter, well… did you really think it would be that easy to be rid of krogan Dr. Doom? LOL.
Also wrote an article touching on some of why I wrote the reunion the way I did.
The next chapter is about 5k words in, and I don’t think I can get it out in the next two weeks — we’ll see. It will cover a lot of the media reaction, insight into the turians and salarians (since most of the viewpoints have been humans and asari) as well as the krogan, and the first appearance of the real players on the stage showing up.
It will also contain memes, lol. At any rate, enjoy the chapter and Happy New Year.
I finally got the next chapter to the Editing Gang, albeit a week late. I strongly doubt it will be ready by Christmas (although certainly by New Years.)
To make up for my failure, here is our annual Cthulhu Christmas Carol :
It’s been about a month since I pushed out the last TWCD chapter and the STG Field Guide. Work has kept me busy as has preparations for vacation later on this month.
In theory, I will probably get one more TWCD chapter out this year. I’ll be putting up a lot of Jacob’s Volus files out in that time as well, and probably a tech guide update for battle-suits, mechs, and armor technology.
I’m still waiting on my two artists to have clear schedules, although money from the Patreon has already been set aside for several pieces to be ready by (I hope) February or March.
The next chapter of TWCD is with the Editing Gang. I need to add a couple of excerpts and have a final check for tone and all that by the gang.
The problem being I’m stuck at work today!
I would hope I can get the chapter wrapped up, edited, and published with bad ellipsis by tomorrow, sometime after church.
I’ve done a … really shaky history draft for the drell and I am working on volus biology. Once biology is done, Jacob has done a lot of the rest but at least one piece would need re-writes.
In other news my health is better, although I’ve had more family drama that’s been distracting me to some degree. Shouldn’t affect the work.
This is being dictated to Angel since I’m not able to sit at a keyboard. If anybody has called me directly in the past day or so, she’s the lady who answered the phone.
I’ve not been online much the past few weeks. I’ve not gone into details in public, but I’ve had a change of what I do at my job, no longer managing a team but now working on specific technical issues and trouble tickets impacting production for my company.
While initially this was a reduction on overhead workload, that didn’t last long as I discovered critical unaddressed issues.
Fixing those took a lot of manual effort, and this was made more complicated by the fact that the guy who ran the system was very ill with some kind of disease. His backup was killed in a car accident and that made everything kind of fall apart.
This culminated in me having to assist other IT/DBA’s onsite at corporate HQ in North Carolina. I haven’t done much business travel and every time is a mess. I was fatigued after this and planned to take off. The week prior I was occupied in trying to tie everything up and had issues with the home internet.
Long story short, I was rushing, pissed, and not getting enough sleep or rest. This is probably why I’m stuck in bed now.
Last Friday, I was finishing up work when I had a tearing pain in my left knee. I usually use a cane a friend of mine bought me, but as I was on the production floor and the cane incorporates metal, I didn’t have it. The knee itself was swollen and my lost balance meant I also twisted my ankle badly, to the point I could not walk.
This week was supposed to be my vacation — I’d rest a couple of days, do some cleanup on the fiction, work pieces put together by Jacob, Burnsidhe and other authors, and begin working with the guy who did the EGM mod for ME3 on a storyboard.
Instead, I’ve been in the hospital. There was ‘stress’ and deformation to my ACL with indications it may have a minor tear, and tears in the meniscus, which are pieces of cartilage connecting the leg bones in the knee. Initially I thought it had just given out, but in the course of an x-ray and exam by my doctor on Tuesday he found out more severe damage.
As such I have been in the hospital undergoing meniscus repair, fracture repair, getting the ankle worked on, and physical therapy. Obviously this does not allow me to get online and even when I could use my phone I can’t get a fucking signal in the hospital thanks to Sprint’s shitty coverage.
I’ve had repairs done to the torn menisci (Liethr can explain what this entails, it sounds scarier than it is). The ACL was evaluated as a Grade 1 injury, but the knee specialist was worried without treating the existing damage and given the poor state of the kneecap and the presence of microfractures this could get worse.
The microfractures were fixed with more microfractures to force healing, along with something they injected. This was explained to me as a technique widely used, but it takes time to heal properly.
The surgery went well, they fixed (sort of) the tear and addressed the microfracture, as well as ‘adjusted’ the ACL — my medical knowledge is on par with a very bad medical school student so there were some details I’m hazy on. I will be going back for follow ups next week and doing physical therapy ongoing for a while.
I came home from the hospital this morning — normally this is done outpatient, but the microfracture and ACL slippage meant they did more than just arthroscopy and I didn’t react well to the anesthesia.
I’m pretty tired. I’ll be on braces and crutches and all this fucked up therapy shit for weeks, which cuts into my free time. Work will also, I’m sure, be hilarious.
I am probably going to rest the next couple of days. My leg cannot be bent and I can’t really stand or walk much, so getting online would be problematic, although I will make a stab at being on discord via phone later today or tomorrow.
Bottom line, of course, is that this has derailed a lot of projects. Jacob’s piece ostensibly needs me to finish part of it, Burnsidhe’s P. snippet needs to be paired with an STG file I haven’t written the basics on for him to fill out, and I have not had any time to speak with or work with Master Kinkojiro on storyboarding.
Rather than scatter information around I’m posting it all here.
Editing Gang to-do’s : I need the team to do me a little prep work for when I can sit at a chair again and get shit done.
- Prepare a finished state document for ALL of the various pieces of work — P STG file, Aria STG file, Volus File, Krogan File, etc. That is, a list of what is done, what is not done, and for the stuff not done what is needed to be done.
- Jacob, I believe, has volus psychology done, while physiology is not done. I’d appreciate it if several of you took a stab at coming up with a physiology doc, at least rough outlines, and then I can take what research I have done and work those two.
- Ariel made a writeup of mech stuff on the forums — additional ideas and details that could go into a tech guide doc would be extremely useful.
- I need a meme list or ideas for reactions for the post-Ilium chapter in regards to the big televised fights.
- I need a EG guy or gal to step up and make a list of all hard conflict retcons that need to be clarified or re-written — such as asari / volus contact, early instances of hanar not being in line with my later changes, spots where things said in one place clash with another. This doesn’t have to be done soon but I want it cleaned up.
- Someone give me a status on the OSABC rewrites and where we are on those.
- The next chapter of TWCD is at 8,500 words and is no where near done. The next chapter of Lions is at 2,000 words but is clunkery. (I don’t think this is a word but he told me to put it there). There are very ugly drafts of the drell history and psychology chapters that I haven’t posted online. Anything you’d like to see in these would be useful feedback.
Given that I’ve just had knee surgery and a) can’t fucking walk or sit and b) am tripping on pain meds most of the day, I don’t expect to get anything accomplished today aside from drooling.
Best way to do feedback is to email it to me : viley at att dot net or henryviley at gmail dot com will both drive to my phone. If needed, both Comma and Nimiraj can contact me directly via phone. (If you are friends with me on Facebook, you can use that as well).
I do not have a good ETA to when the next chapter is done. I will update as I have more information and can think when the Vicodin wears off.
I don’t give a fuck about your personal information.
I don’t believe I collect any. If I did, I guarantee I will only sell it to people not involved in the production or support of Kanye West videos.
On a more serious note, this is what I have:
- The website itself (which includes the forums) : I collect your username, a ‘real name’ (which can be anything), your IP (although this is not something I view or keep) and your email address. I currently only utilize the email address for the mailing list and newsletter. As far as I know, my security features (Wordfence and Akismet) ensure none of this is exposed. I certainly don’t sell it and the only time I look at your IP is in preparation for total exterminatus banhammerings, so I doubt it will matter much.
- Discord Chat: Discord handles all the data functions there. As far as I know they are GDPR compliant. If (how in fuck I have no clue) they are not and this becomes an issue we will look for alternatives.
- Google Docs: Google handles data functions for this. If you are in the Editing Gang and use Google, there’s a good chance Google is going to fuck it up. Just be aware it’s them and not me.
- Fanfiction.net Data: Who the fuck knows? In theory I can’t see much beyond your penname. I can see rough counts of where people are signing in from by country. Everything else is handled by FF.net.
If you have a concern regarding the GDPR and LogicalPremise.net feel free to leave me a reply here or an email. I can’t imagine anyone doing so, but I’m always prepared.
Enjoy, my friends. Thanks to the Editing Gang, and for all of you who read and review.