I’ll put up some more chapters to revise of OSABC later on today and see if I can’t finish up the chapter of Lions before moving onto the opening carnage of Ilium.
The Bad News: I’m up to 8,000 words on the next chapter, but I don’t know if I’ll have time to work on it this weekend or not.
The Good News: Since I’m not sure I finished the Tetrimus STG file for you guys 🙂
I’m about 4500 words into the next chapter. I’m hoping to have something ready to go by the weekend, but I wouldn’t say its impossible that I won’t get anything serious done until Labor Day in the US (September 5)
Work has been beyond insane, with several days where I’ve had to work from 4 AM to 7 PM the next day. I won’t get into why, but this has obviously disrupted my sleep schedule, and with other things going on has cut down on my writing time.
I have gotten estimates from several artists on the next phase of artwork and am in the process of determining what to go with based on Patreon feedback. Ideas to that effect are also welcome here.
Thank you for those who have volunteered to help rewrite/fix/unfuck OSABC.
I’m interested in people’s thoughts about how this should happen:
- I can put out a chapter at the beginning of a week (Monday) and pick it up Saturday or Sunday, which allows people to choose their own time to edit or
- I can put it out on a Saturday morning and have an official ‘edit block’ of time for publication on Monday, which allows for more interaction with editors.
Which would be more convenient?
In TWCD news, no, haven’t started the next chapter yet. Links for the outline will go up on the Patreon page when done. There is another Patreon Status report up there as well.
Right now the next chapter of That Which Cannot Die is still under heavy construction. The current layout is more of a framework, another five or six thousand words are left to deal with and the bulk of the editing team is still hard at work. (So am I, adding stuff based on suggestions). I do not think it will come out today (June 30) , more likely this weekend.
In other news:
I am planning to finally get around to slowly rewriting OSABC with the help of
slave labor another Editing Gang. It will be in Google Doc format, and posted one chapter at a time. The goal of the remastering of OSABC is threefold:
- Fix up stupid typos, issues where I accidentally left out a word, and various minor fixes (Helen instead of Karin for Chakwas first name, explaining why Jiong isn’t spelled like Jeong, so on and so forth.)
- Fix up retcon issues and continuity issues.
- Clear up and polish the work — make some things less angsty, or at least provide additional exposition.
As OSABC is already massive, this will probably expand it by another twenty to thirty thousand words. We’ll probably do one or two chapters a week — maybe more if people are interested.
If you would like to help these are the requirements:
- Functional brain
- Ability to access Google Docs
- Pictures of kittens
If you have all of these, either comment here or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to participate.
After discussion with the Editing Gang and the poll, I have decided to open up a Patreon to defray costs for artwork, music, and other goals.
The Patreon Page is here : http://patreon.com/LogicalPremise
There are more details listed there, including reward levels and what not. Please keep in mind : You are not required to give anything.
You don’t have to be a Patron to access the forums.
You don’t have to be a Patron to be in the Editing Gang.
This is strictly voluntary. For those of you who would like to donate but don’t have the cash or ability to do so, comments on this post about things you could to do help would be appreciated.
If you know good artists, musicians, animators or the like, references to them would also be helpful.
The Next Chapter is being outlined.
I still am not 100% comfortable with it, but I’m sure the gang will make it fantastic. It’s a talky non action chapter.
If you’ve put a watch on my stories you know I’ve been updating the Naruto stuff instead of the Mass Effect stuff.
Two reasons for that. I’m still in the process of doing the research on the Drell, and a book I ordered is held up due to utter fucking bullshit so I’m forced to wait.
The other reason is that the next chapter of TWCD is important, and I’m not willing to put together a bunch of filler scenes and wonky dialogue when I’m not sure how I want it to feel. I want to get it right, and until I can I’m not just happy with a token effort to advance the story. I’ve done that a couple of places in both OSABC and ATTWN and while it got the job done it weakened the overall result.
I’m aware many of you aren’t fans of Naruto, and even if you were most people gave up when the series creator fucked it up waaaay worse than the ending of ME3. So don’t think you have to read or review my stuff if it isn’t your cup of tea.
That being said, all interest in the work is appreciated. The DLP Gang have a particularly dim view of most Naruto fics and I am going to get a positive reaction out of them to show them the fandom isn’t dead yet as long as people with a brain write it instead of yaoi-obsessed idiots with a fixation on mPreg and foxy accessories.
In other news, my back is doing better, my mom’s hair is finally coming back in, work is still crazy but is doing better and nothing horrible has happened to me (yet) (knock on wood). It’s a very crappy time of the year for me, but I’ll be okay.
You probably noticed my writing spree this time around for this part of the year has been Naruto focused, rather than on ME.
I’m having some writer’s block on how exactly to proceed in a meaningful way, but still need to distract myself a bit.
TWCD and the rest of the ME Stuff will continue, do not worry.
The sheer scope of what I am attempting to do is becoming literally unmanageable. Therefore, in the interest of using some of these goddamned Steam coupons, I have had an epiphany.
See some game on Steam you’d love to have but don’t have $55 to fucking waste, or your wife/parents/college debt won’t let you? Have some spare time you would be willing to expend in mindshatteringly boring tasks in exchange for said games?
Contact me. I have put off cleaning up and editing a number of documents, and I literally need someone to clean up the OSABC version on AO3 and get some of the other works on there.
Good with art? Same deal. (I’m looking at you, LuckyFK. I have a literal muscle-woman that needs art, she makes your ripped up Shepard look like an anorexic.)
As for the Great Work ™:
- The next chapter of TWCD is … sort of written but still in very heavy first-stage revisions. I have to be careful how I do this so it doesn’t come off as silly….while being completely fucking silly. I also have to come up with associated memestorm for the aftermath. Beyond that the next few chapters are outlined but I may have to revise them.
- The Engineer’s Guide to Oh God What the Fuck is proceeding well, although I’m going to have to dig out some Conspiracy X and Shadowrun sourcebooks and medical texts and fully crib together my half-ass theories on augmetics. Most of my bionetic stuff is original, while the nanonics is a mix of ConX Atlanean tech and stuff I liked in the Neutronium Alchemist. My cyberware is a blatant homage / ripoff of Shadowrun style cybernetics with a touch of Deus Ex and Megatraveller thrown in, so it literally conflicts itself…and of course despite tossing out the word several times in the game, the Mass Effect canon is completely worthless in defining ANYTHING about the state of cyberware. Say it with me … Goddamn it, Bioware
- Ahern says the next chapter of Lions is halfway done and if I wasn’t such a lazy fucking pile of shit it would have been put out nineteen fucking years ago, or something like that.
- I’ve been working on No Single Raindrop to find some sort of concluding arc to it. Maybe by midyear.
- I’ve done some heavy edits and cleanup to the Encyclopedia Biotica but it’s not published yet. I would love some new ideas for biotic powers.
- I REALLY need to do some minor retcons around the Hanar, as my original design document did not have the Ascendancy so hostile and had the drell as serving as the main line of communication between the Citadel and the Hanar. May need to revisit that before I get too far into the Hanar Cerberus Files.
- Speaking of Cerberus Files, I am thinking of re-writing the Batarian Section to be AFTER the collapse of the Hegemony and the Rise of the Batarian Empire. Thoughts?
- Absolutely no work has been done on the crackfic or happyfic Memories we Forget to Remember. Sorry.